Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back

So after a food poisoning delay and expensive replacement flight, I just landed in Sydney. I keep getting upset when I think back to my friends in Uganda. I can’t believe I won’t be sitting chatting with them, riding the boda bodas through villages on the way to construction sites or clubs, or even running around doctors. It feels like I will be back again tomorrow but I know I won’t and it’s really upsetting.

Even eating the food on the airplane was upsetting. It just feels so strange to be amidst this amazing luxurious food, and having the means to fly. It feels crazy that somehow because I was born in a different place I get to live like I do. They are amazing, friendly and hard working people. I am still totally shocked that nobody mugged me for my phone (and camera) as I probably would have considered it in their shoes. It hurts that that they live such different lives no matter how hard they work. Yet they are still happy so I don’t know what to feel.

I am really happy that I met everyone I did, good or bad. I’m glad for everything that happened too, good or bad. It was an amazing, meaningful and very fulfilling adventure. I’m not ashamed to say I keep tearing up when I think about it. Only a very special adventure could do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment