Saturday, January 25, 2014

Revisiting Jinja Kids

I went up to Jinja again to revisit the Orphanage I stayed at for a week. It was nice to see them again and play with them. They even remembered my name!

Uganda Ice Cream bike. Complete with ice cream music.




I also managed to video call Alina who I met in Uganda last time and travelled around with. She had been a volunteer at this orphanage so it was nice to get her to see and talk to the kids in real-time. 


This day also marked the end of donation distribution. I had collected over $1,500 in donations and with Lillian's help, we carefully distributed it to many different projects and groups. Thanks to all who donated :)

Unfortunately, I also got sick recently and have been out of action for 4 days with a sore throat and lethargy. I went to a doctor and got the usual antibiotics and paracetamol and I hope that I'm well by Sunday for my flight. An interesting thing at the doctor was that two people pushed in front of me. Its not like Australia where your name is called. The admin guy didn't even make sure I was served at the right time. Only after 2 people, did he stop the 3rd from going and told me it was my turn. I thought it was appointments but I was actually just losing to the system.

Before this illness though, I had finally started working with the computer training centre. I have been training the staff to train future students which was good. I also spent some time while sick training Jackson, the boy who helps around the house to play the games I installed on the computers as he will be helping out at the centre during the revenue hours. Pretty awesome when volunteering involves video game training. Also interesting to teach someone to play GTA 3 when they've never played a game before. He went from totally hopeless at controlling anything on the first day, to actually playing the missions himself a few days later!

I had earlier taught him how to use Windows and word and set up a Facebook and GMail account for him. He wrote me a really nice email thanking me for help and saying I was different to the other volunteers :)

Today I also saw this great toy car!

Awesome homemade toy car

1 comment:

  1. Tomek, I'm wondering if you're familiar with Samuel Mukopi in Jinja. Does he help children? Feed them? Do they sleep at the orphanage? He's begs for more and more money, but I have many questions. Would you please email me at raeann.peck@gmail.com ? thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete