Saturday, January 18, 2014

Village Life



I spent the last few days visiting a village with Lillian, her sister and two nieces where we stayed at her relative’s house. It was really nice to live with a family for a change, rather than just at the volunteer house. I got pretty close to the kids there, even those that cried when they first saw me.


I drove there in a car that we hired for around $25 a day. One of the tires was punctured when we arrived and when I went to replace it I realized it was a temporary tire, not a spare. When we went to get the punctured one fixed, the temporary tire also became flat. We had to wait about 20 minutes for the fixed one to be brought to the car. 

All in all, it was a great experience and I enjoyed the remoteness and seeing how things are done day to day.

In this case, it's best to tell my story in pictures and videos:

Before leaving Mukono, I saw Lillian's 2.5 year-old niece cutting green banana's with a knife. I am so amazed that she doesn't cut herself and that kids can start becoming useful so early on!

On the road, no restraints

Drive through take-away African style

This is how pineapples actually grow

Improvised toy car the kids often played with

More realistic toy car

Old-school iron. You put charcoal inside.

The temporary spare tire which went flat when we reached town

I was really happy to hold a baby goat. I am actually biting it...


Cocoa Plant. tastes nothing like chocolate. More like Jackfruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment