Saturday, August 3, 2013

Powerful Experience After Great Week of Construction

After 4 days of construction, we’ve come a long way and got all the walls up to half way. I’ve gotten much fitter and better at my job so far and am picking up more of the local language here and there. Here are some pictures of the progress:



On one of the days it started to rain and the people living next to the social center allowed us to take refuge in their house. This was my first time in a very basic house which was quite a powerful experience. The floor was just concrete with wear and tear, the furniture was mostly simple pieces of timber banged together, some broken. There were some windows but one that broke was just covered with cardboard. There was no ceiling apart from the metal sheets which made up the roof of the house. The walls were crumbling and it was cold.





Local volunteers resting
I was suddenly surprised as my eyes got teary and I felt like crying. I wasn’t uncomfortable in any way. I’m used to people complaining about some little dirt, mess or other triviality. So since I was in a totally exaggerated extreme of what people around me usually complain about, I guess my mind expected the usual bitching, complaining and depression. Yet instead, I heard laughter. Despite living in such a derelict and remote house, these people were chilled out and having a very active and happy conversation. It made me very sad yet happy for them at the same time. I still feel like this when I think about it. I’ve heard of first hand, and seen a lot of poverty already but being right inside this deep contrast made it a very powerful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment