Thursday, August 22, 2013

Random Adventures

Public Transport

There is no public transport system here. But in an amazing free-market fashion, a private one has materialized consisting of boda-bodas (motorcycles) and taxi buses. The boda-bodas are useful for short-trips of 1-2 people though I have been on one with 4 + the driver. 5 people on a motorcycle is crazy and funny at the same time. You can catch these anywhere although they tend to congregate at “boda stages” ~ 1km apart along most roads. They are akin to taxis back at home in that they just take you wherever you ask them to go.


This is an extreme example of a boda boda. There's usually only 2 passengers.

For longer trips people here use taxis. These are private vans licensed to carry 14 that manage to squeeze in 17 people + the driver and conductor. These taxis follow predetermined routes but each is a private and just travels around on its own. It’s amazing to me that a system of bus routes has emerged organically here and with anyone being able to buy a van and run these routes, they are pretty much always available in the right quantity based on supply and demand. The free market can be quite impressive.





Albino

While going to carry some water back to the construction site, we passed by a house where I suddenly saw a white child that turned out to be an Albino. My friend John asked if I could take a photo with this child and they agreed if I could just spare 1,000 shillings for milk so I gave them 2,000 which is still less than a $1. It was really interesting to see all the Ugandan facial features on a white face with bleached looking hair.

I felt a bit uncomfortable though as I didn't want to make them feel like their child was some kind of oddity on display. However, everyone seemed happy and amused so along with the 1.5 litres of milk they will get, I guess it was ok. 

Forced pose

Barefooting

Last week I decided to try walking barefoot since I always wanted to do that at home where it’s not socially acceptable. Everyone said I’d give up and start crying but it’s been 3 days at the construction site (including the trip there and back) and 1 day on a bushwalk and I’m mostly fine. It’s actually really enjoyable. Sometimes the rocks can hurt a little and I've been attacked by ants on two occasions but that's a much more interesting experience than I'd have if I had worn shoes! Many people ask me where my shoes are as it really confuses them to see a muzungu (white person) walking barefoot alongside Ugandan with shoes. 

Bushwalking without shoes was incredible

When I told my facilitator Isaac he was shocked again and begged me (at partly in jest) to stop trying new things. He says I'm the most adventurous volunteer ever and that he will avoid warning me not to do stuff as it means I always end up doing it. I’m glad that I am the most adventurous volunteer he’s had :) It means I am making the most of my experience!

No Bins


It’s very strange to me and I still don’t quite feel comfortable with it but there are no rubbish bins here. Basically, anytime I have an empty bottle or plastic wrapping I just throw it on the floor (or out the window of the bus). If it’s in a town, the council is responsible for cleaning the streets regularly but even a little further out and then there’s nothing. Some people may pick up a few things to recycle them like bottles but otherwise, it just lies around, hopefully bio-degrading.

Meat and Hygiene

The butchers here seem to just have their meat out in the sun and on not very clean pieces of wood yet it's alright. I haven't had any hint of food poisoning so I guess as long as it only stays out for a day or however many hours then it's fine. It must mean that people are a bit too paranoid back at home.  

If you look closely, you can even see the flies.


Hygiene in general is different here. People rarely wash their hands and when they do, it's often with water that isn't clean or even remotely drinkable. And despite me being used to the clean environment back in Australia, I haven't had any issues with this either. I guess it shows what I always thought: we didn't evolve to need anti-bacterial soap and unless you're dealing with wounds, we can handle a surprising amount of dirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment